Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mothers service

I would disagree with my sister, we did not grow up in three bedroom house we grew up in a two bedroom house with a closet which Wayne and I shared.
You may not have known that my mother had a hard life, living in 24 diffrent places during the first 18 years of her life, from East Jorden to Kalimazoo to Midland and Sanford. She worked in a factory during WWII. And because the old guy at the lumberyard could not say Athelia, she would be called Sussie most of her life. I was out of high school before I knew my mothers real name.
She raised 7 children in our tiny house which was so small that when we sat down to eat you were stuck there. Go to the bathroom first because there was no getting out. The only way was to go out the back door and around the house to the front door which was usaly locked.
My perspective was diffrent in another way, I had a brother and three sister who happened to have diffrent last names.
Mom had the diffaculties in dealing with all our issues and there were many. Just dealing with me and my ADHD and all that went with it was enough for most people. Trips to Detroit and Saganaw for theripoist and Doctors.
She also had a diffacult time dealing with the death of her close friend Donna Garner from Bone Cancer.
Mom always did what needed to be done.
When grandpa, grandma and who ever else was in the boat dropped the motor overboard she was the only one who could swimm. They quickly tied a rope around her and through her into the freezxing water so she could dive down and tie a rope to it and save it, it was a borrowed motor.
She would blance budgets which were always tight.
She would have to deal with dad, who when having a family discussion with, and he would see he was loosing would reach up and flip his hearing aid off. She would make a face that I know I did not like to see.
Once she had a party planned with her friends comming over, she arived home to find that I had taken apart my motorcycle engine in the living room and spread it all over the room. She did not even kill me.
She took us to church every sunday and we always sat in the same pew fourth row back on the right.
Mom taught Sunday School, aranged flowers, helped clean and even took comunion to people who were shuttins so they would know they were not forgotten.
She tought me Jesus loved me. Though it would be much later in life that I would understand that it cost Him His life to do so.
To love me it cost my mom much of her life to do so as well.
She loved cooking and canning, she loved playing cards and dominos first with dad, grandma and grandpa and then her friends at the aparment.
She loved flowers, and had wonderfull gardens, to which Wayne could attest because he shovled load after load of black dirt, which she recived as a birthday present, to make them.
She loved the birds especialy all the grossebeakes. She loved to fish for walliee and pearch.
She would call me to give me the family news, Proud of connies job, what Linda and Scot were doing, Wayne, Shirly and Adle. Then the grand kids news after which she would say well thats all goodbye, and hang up. Once she called said a few words then asked if Kathy was there, when I said no she replied oh well, by, and then hung up.
My final story is about an old cat we had named Tiger. We had a screen door which was missing the middle glass at the time. The old tiger cat struggled up the back porach to the door. Mom and I stood there and mom said "Poor old Tiger, he can hardly make it up the steps". Then Tiger jumped through the hole in the door. Do not feel sad for my mom today, thank God for her life and Love, because she has jumped through the door and into the arms of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment