Wednesday, January 5, 2011

looking for Jesus

I looked for you beside a happy little stream which sang its way through a flower filled meadow. The sun was bright and warm masking me sure that you could be found, yet I did not see you.

I climbed the high mountains covered with snow until I was high above the clouds, standing on the outer rim of the earth. Standing there, looking over all the mountains and valleys I felt sure to see your face but I did not.

I went to Warm Ocean swimming under the waves surrounded by blue and red coral and softly waving sea anomies. Fish of every color and shape surrounded me, as sea turtles swam lazily by and ells poked out their bright heads from their hiding places to greet me. Surely here in this place I would see you, yet I did not.

I traveled to the desert void of life and distractions. The hard packed sand stretched out as far as I could see; only broken by the waves of heat rising into the hot air. As the sun beat down through a cloudless sky I though now I would find you, but still I did not see your face.

I went to the forest lush and green with giant trees towering above me. Enveloped and covered by the life all around me. An eagle soared over head, squirrels chattered from the trees, and little birds sang their songs that only I could hear. A deer silently drifted past and a bear picked apart a log for his lunch. As I sat on a moss covered stump where I waited to see you but my eyes failed me once again.

I disappointment I went home sure to never see you. I in the bleachers at the school to pass the time watching kids play basketball. Suddenly I saw you laughing, running hard and celebrating a basket made.

Later I saw you in the crying eyes of a grieving friend as we held hands and prayed.

Again I saw your compassionate face carrying boxes us the steps of the food pantry for someone who could not carry them on their own.

Then I understood my mistake in looking for you it the works of your hand, and not in the hearts of man. We are your temple and you live in and through us. You laugh with us, cry with us, love with us and live within us.

Have you really seen Jesus? Maybe you have been looking in the wrong place or at the wrong thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment