Sunday, October 15, 2017

Finishing well


Finishing well
Philippians 3:13-14  “Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
 
 

I was watching a football game, the runner is way out in front as he reaches the goal, so he stops running the walks backwards over the goal line. My first thought is I’d like to see him blindsided by the defender he had missed. My second thought is that this is a great time for some forgotten rule to disqualify you and your run.

In baseball it’s the missed bag on a run. For instance; you are on first and fly ball is hit, you’re watching the ball drop in, in your excitement you round second but fail to touch it on your way to third. The Ball gets thrown to second and now you are out. This is so common that we have a saying, “Touch all the bases”.

In Nascar it’s running out of gas with two laps to go.

As we near the finish line of it is important to remember to finish well, because God looks at the whole race. In the middle of our lives it is important remember many who have been disqualified for a step out of bounds in the middle of the race.

This brings up the question of goals in our life. “If you aim at nothing you will be certain of hitting it.” This is why Paul writes to the Philippians “I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.” Paul has no intention of coasting in using past momentum.

We may be in a place where we think we cannot offer any great work for God. We might not be able to do some great thing that will be noticed, but finishing well matters just as much as the rest of our race.

Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 9:26 & 27
26So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.   27But I discipline my body and keep it under control,  lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”

Philippians 2:12

P12Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,   13for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

It is important for us to finish well.

Not only should we plan to finish well, but we should be prepared to help outers around us finish well. On the news they showed a video. At the end of a High School cross   country race a runner collapses near the finish, a competitor stops and helps her up and across the finish line.

What are our intentions? What are we aiming at? “If you aim at nothing you are sure to hit it.” Are you pressing on toward the finish line or just trying to coast it in?

Secretariat, won the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness and the Belmont in 1973 with times that still stand as records for the fastest times. But what he is known for is his finish in the Belmont. In that race he would win by the longest margin in history 31 lengths. The horse could have let up and coasted in, but pressing on he was lengthening his lead to the very end.

How are your brothers and sisters in Christ doing? Do they need your help? Do they need the strength of your faith to help the up and across the finish line?

“if you aim at nothing you are sure to hit it.” Press on to the finish line of life. Make it your goal to finish well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment