Sunday, June 27, 2010

1 Thessalonians 2:13-16

1 Thessalonians 2:13-16

Facing Opposition

INTRODUCTION: When you are doing things right, when you are doing the will of God, you expect things to go well. People should like you and even respect you, and yet this is not what we experience. This passage tells us that we will face opposition.

In verse 14 Paul points out that they suffered from their own countrymen the same persecutions as Jesus, the church in Jerusalem and the prophets of old. Jesus told His disciples that persecution would come. In Matthew 13:24-30 Jesus gives a parable teaching that there are weeds sewn in with His wheat by and enemy. Jesus makes clear that opposition will come. Look at Matthew 10:34-36 and John 16:33. Why did the people of Jesus’ time and the people of our time oppose the Gospel? Jesus taught that God wants to forgive everyone, love everyone; we should treat others with kindness and respect, honesty, humility and be morally right. What could there be to oppose or even hate about Jesus? So let’s take a look at what the world has against Jesus.

1. THE DEITY OF JESUS

A. WHAT JESUS CLAIMED

a. JESUS CLAIMED TO BE GOD, “I AND THE FATHER ARE ONE, BEFORE ABRAHAM WAS “I AM”

B. THE JEWS

a. COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT GOD WOULD COME AS A MAN

b. FOR A MAN TO CLAIM TO BE GOD WAS BLASPHEMY

C. NOW

a. THAT THERE IS A GOD AT ALL

b. CREATION, ACCOUTNABILITY, CONTROL, LIFE EVENTS

2. THE EXCLUSIVE CLAIMS OF JESUS

A. WHAT THEY ARE

a. JESUS IS THE GOD

b. I AM THE WAY JOHN 14:6

c. I AM THE SHEEP GATE JOHN 10:17

d. GO INTO ALL THE WORLD AND MAKE DISCIPLES MATTHEW 28:18

B. JEWS AND GREEKS

a. JEWS, JESUS WAS A BLASPHEMIER, OR A NUT, OR A CONMAN

b. GREEKS COULD NOT ACCEPT ONLY ONE GOD.

C. PEOPLE TODAY

a. NOT POLITCALY CORRECT,

b. NOT RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS

3. MORAL CODE

A. JEWS AND GREEKS

a. JEWS FELT JESUS WAS COUNTER TO THEIR LAW

b. GREEKS FELT JESUS WAS COUNTER TO THEIR PRATICES AND THEIR FUN.

B. PEOPLE TODAY

a. JESUS GETS IN THE WAY OF OUR LIFE STYLE

b. JESUS COUSES GUILT AND LACK OF SELF ESTEAM

c. JESUS GETS IN THE WAY OF SELF DETERMINATION

4. CONTROL

A. JEWS AND ROMANS

a. JEWS FEARED LOSING CONTROL OF THE PEOPLE RELIGOUSLY

b. FEARED LOSING THE ABILITY TO MANIPULATE PEOPLE THROUGH FAITH.

c. ROMANS FEAR LOSING POLITICAL CONTROL OF THE EMPIRE

B. TODAY

a. THE SAME THINGS

CONCLUSION: Jesus plainly taught that opposition to His teaching and to those who follow Him will come. We should not be surprised that it comes. We should not capitulate or give in to those who oppose our faith in Jesus. You will be surprised from whom this opposition comes from at times. But stand firm for “In this world you will have tribulation, but Jesus has overcome the world.”

Matthew 10:34-36 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’

John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Jn 10:30 I and the Father are one.” c

Jn 10:31 Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, d

Jn 10:32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

Jn 10:33 “We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.” e

Jn 8:58 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, o I am!” p

Jn 8:59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, q but Jesus hid himself, r slipping away from the temple grounds.

Jn 14:6 Jesus answered, I am d the way e and the truth f and the life. g No one comes to the Father except through me. h

Jn 10:7 Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am q the gate r for the sheep.

Jn 10:8 All who ever came before me s were thieves and robbers, t but the sheep did not listen to them.

Jn 10:9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. 51 He will come in and go out, and find pasture.

Jn 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, u and have it to the full. v

Jn 10:11 “I am w the good shepherd. x The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. y



Mt 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. f

Mt 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, g baptizing them in 121 the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, h

Mt 28:20 and teaching i them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you j always, to the very end of the age.” k

No comments:

Post a Comment